HomeNews & InsightsNaked Brand: Marketing & Advertising Redifined

Naked Brand: Marketing & Advertising Redifined

"Traditional advertising, I think, is finished," Patagonia's founder Yvon Chouinard says in the documentary film, The Naked Brand. Drawing on interviews with business leaders at Unilever, Under Armour, Zappos and Patagonia, among others, this documentary that social-media revolution and mounting environmental concerns have left corporations with little room to hide any misbehavior.

"Ad agencies historically have not done anything to help save the world," said Joseph Dumont, opening a panel at the Austin environmental conference SXSW Eco on Monday improbably titled: Can Advertising Save the World? The junior partner at Questus and a co-producer of The Naked Brand, says the answer is yes.

It helps that companies today can "go green" and still stand a good chance at making a buck. The quests for good and for profit are "aligning for the first time ever," Dumont claims. "The equilibrium of green and 'green' is here."

"What we're saying is, successful companies of the future will improve people's lives, period," Dumont told SXSW ECO attendees. "These are not 'green' stories. These are successful stories that wove eco-friendly and social resposibility into their business model. And they're absolutely killing it."

As The Naked Brand points out, the erosion of public trust in big business has become evident everywhere: the global anti-capitalist Occupy protests, anti-sweatshop campaigns targeting Apple in 2012 and waves of poor product reviews saturating problematic product pages on sites like Amazon.com.

But to suggest advertising is prepared to fix the problem by telling the truth? Let's just say there are still doubters among us.

"We slice and dice the truth, without necessarily communicating the rest of the truth," experienced ad man, critic and author Jonathan Salem Baskin told the Advertising Self-Regulatory Council at its annual conference in New York last week, according to Adweek. "We've also embellished it. Sometimes we ignore it completely … Advertising today is a truth-free zone."

Unsurprisingly, consumers want more than promises from the companies they do business with. In a survey of 11,000 people across eight countries, PR company Edelman found that 90% of responders want corporations to be as transparent as possible. Perhaps the other 10% are scared of what they'll discover.

"There is a crisis of confidence in corporations," CEO Richard Edelman wrote last month during the release of Edelman's Better Business Initiative, which urges the adoption of "universal themes", including "performance with purpose", "responsible employer", "fair dealings" and "guardian of future generations".

Clearly, 13-year-old Questus is not the only one calling for a more honest way of communicating. But Dumont says his company is fully embracing the idea.

"We want to tell the truthful stories about why these companies are great versus a company that wants to be great and hires an ad agency to manufacture a fictional tale," Dumont told me after his presentation at SXSW Eco. "We believed at the time that this was something to differentiate not only our agency, but our whole thesis and what we wanted to be 10 years from now, which is be that leader of the revolution. … It gelled our team more than anything gelled our team at any point in the last 13 years."

And while the team hasn't dropped any existing clients for failing to meet an environmental standard, they have turned down a few.

"Even when the economy really imploded and everyone was looking for whatever they could get, we got a call from a tobacco company and we said no," Rosenblum said in a telephone interview. Questus also passed up a major oil company, according to Dumont.

Given the last word in The Naked Brand, Alex Bogusky – who refashioned himself into a consumer advocate from one of the US's most successful ad executives, launching socially responsible business accelerator Common in 2011 – suggests the endpoint of this new age of transparency may be nothing less than a massive shift of power.

"If you look at the history of the world, somehow humanity has scrapped and crawled and gotten a little bit more power and a little bit more control all the way, but it hasn't been easy," he says. "The great powers have been the kings. Then there was the church. There was the state. And now there's corporations. I don't think it can end with corporations as the greatest power on earth. I think it ends with humanity itself."

Source: The Guardian

Last modified on Wednesday, 02 July 2014 10:12

Media

Leave a comment

Twitter

Contact Us

footer-contact-phone+ 251 912 640 531

 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.